A bureaucrat can add and remove groups using Special:UserRights.
Generally, bureaucrats also have admin rights, which allow for most community management tasks. For more info on admin powers, see the administrators' how-to guide.
How do I grant user rights?
OverviewBy default on Fandom, a bureaucrat can grant rollback, content moderator, administrator, and bureaucrat rights, and can revoke rollback, content moderator, admin, and bot rights. While bureaucrats cannot directly remove other user's bureaucrat status (please contact Fandom Staff if this is needed), a bureaucrat may remove their own bureaucrat rights. Administrators (sysops) have the rollback, Content Moderator, Discussion Moderator, and Chat Moderator permissions included by default, so adding these groups to administrators is unnecessary.
- Go to Special:UserRights. There is a link to UserRights on the list of special pages and on each user's Special:Contributions view.
- Enter the user's name (case sensitive!) and click "Edit User Groups". The form shown at the right will be made available.
- Select the appropriate right(s) under "Groups you can change".
- Fill in "Reason for change".
- Double-check your work! Make sure you're giving rights to the right person by checking the links to the user page and the contributions!
- Click "Save User Groups".
- Once you save the form, a confirmation message will display which groups the user is now in, and the change in rights will be recorded at Special:Log/rights.
The user gains administrator access immediately. If the user has watchlist settings enabled, they will get an immediate email alerting them to this change. There is a link to the user's Message Wall or talk page on the form -- after receiving the confirmation, you may wish to use this to notify and congratulate the user, and perhaps provide links to Help:Administrators' how-to guide and any local policies for administrators on your community.
- Help:User rights has descriptions of all the user rights groups on Fandom
- Help:Administrators' how-to guide
- Edit even faster by learning keyboard shortcuts!
Further help and feedback
- Browse and search other help pages at Help:Contents
- Check Fandom Community Central for sources of further help and support
- Check Contacting Fandom for how to report any errors or unclear steps in this article
- Learn how to use Fandom in Fandom University: short how-to videos for all levels of experience