Grounded Pokémon are affected by the terrain they are on more than airborne Pokémon, whether positively or negatively. Only grounded Pokémon can be affected by Ground type moves, and by the area hazards Spikes and Toxic Spikes, as well as the effects a Wasteland battlefield will have on them.
Field Effect Attributes that only affect grounded Pokémon
- On an Electric Field, grounded Pokémon may not fall asleep
- On a Grassy Field, Grass attacks from grounded Pokémon increase in base power to 1.5x, Fire attacks against grounded Pokémon increase in base power to 1.5x, and grounded Pokémon will recover 1/16 of their max HP each turn.
- On a Burning Field, Fire attacks from grounded Pokémon increase in base power to 1.5x, while Grass attacks against them decrease in base power to 0.5x
- On a Swamp Field, all grounded Pokémon will have their speed reduced by one stage at the end of each turn, and all Poison moves against them will increase in base power to 1.5x
- On a Desert Field, Water attacks from grounded Pokémon decrease in base power to 0.5x, and Electric attacks against grounded Pokémon decrease the same amount.
- On an Icy Field, grounded Pokémon can increase in speed using certain moves
- On a Water Surface, Fire attacks against grounded Pokémon decrease in base power to 0.5x, and the abilities Dry Skin and Water Absorb will heal the bearer at the end of each turn if they are grounded. Additionally, all grounded Pokémon that are not Water-type and do not have the ability Swift Swim will have their Speed halved.
- A Murkwater Surface holds the same effect on Speed as a Water Surface does. Dry Skin and Water Absorb will still affect grounded Pokémon, but they must be Poison type. Additionally, Poison Heal and Toxic Boost are activated for grounded Pokémon.
Variations in grounded status
- A Flying-type Pokémon will become grounded if affected by Smack Down or Ingrain, if given an Iron Ball, or if Gravity is in effect.
- A Pokémon with Levitate may become grounded if affected by Smack Down, Gastro Acid, or Ingrain, if given an Iron Ball, if its ability is removed or changed by any means, or if Gravity is in effect.
- A Pokémon holding an Air Balloon will become grounded if the balloon is popped or if the holder is affected by Gravity